Who: Two groups, ages 12-14 and ages 13-17
What: Multi-day kayaking and camping along the Russian River
Why: Build kayak and water skills, make new friends, connect with nature
Cost: $400, includes transportation, meals, equipment, and instruction
Scholarships: Full and partial available based on need
Unplug, get outside, and connect with nature and each other! Join us for an adventure on the Russian River. Learn how to safely paddle a kayak. Escape the heat of summer in the cool waters. Meet new people. Learn about your local watershed and river ecology. Cook and eat good food. And camp out under the stars!
What can you expect from a Teen River Trek?
- 5 to 7 miles paddled daily, plus games, storytelling, swimming, river play, cooking, camping, yoga, etc.
- Training in water safety and paddling skills.
- Experienced guides certified in wilderness first aid, CPR, and swift water rescue.
- Overnights at campgrounds, private farms, and ranches—all trusted LandPaths partners.
- No prior experience necessary, though you should have a level of comfort with being in and around water.
Staff Safety Training
All of our experienced field specialists are trained and certified in Wilderness First Aid and CPR. Two experienced LandPaths staff are present with teen trekkers at all times, for a ratio of 1 staff to 7 campers (plus 1-3 adult volunteers). All staff and volunteers are vetted and fingerprinted before working with our teen trek programs.
Thank you for your interest in Backcountry Basics! All families are asked to contribute $50 to hold a space for your teen. We offer full and half scholarships based on need and available spots. Transportation is not guaranteed, but your needs will be considered.
*Please note that filling out this scholarship application is the first step in the process. It does not actually guarantee a scholarship.